History of Porter's Religious Institutions
Bethel, Porter Lutheran Church | www.bethelofporter.com
The pioneer settlers of the Porter area worshiped in a country church south of Porter where the Bethel Lutheran Cemetery is located. The Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Church of Porter was organized in 1873, eight years before the founding of Porter.
The Original Porter Church was located one half mile south of Porter where the Bethel Lutheran Cemetery is now located. The original church building was moved into Porter after Porter Lutheran Church was built. The building was used as an addition to a home in town.
Porter Lutheran Church in the 1890's, the church did not originally have a basement.
Porter Lutheran in the 1950's, during its final years of existence. In 1964 the congregation moved to the newly constructed Bethel Lutheran Church across the street from Porter Lutheran. Shortly after the Porter Lutheran Church was demolished, bringing the tall steeple out of the skies of Porter.
Bethel Lutheran Church, built in 1964, is Porter's only remaining church.
Methodist Church of Porter
The Methodist Church was located on the North side of Porter on the corner of North Brook Avenue and Chestnut Street.