Standing in front of the garage is Swan Lindquist (left), John
Goverki (center) and Carl Lindquist (Right). The photo was taken sometime prior to World
The Lindquist Family Father, Andrew J. Lindquist and Mother, Inga
Christina (Swanson) Lindquist, immigrated to the United States from
Jonkoping Sweden in 1886 and then moved to Porter in 1904 where they
resided the rest of their lives.
The above photo and information was submitted by Mr. Charles
Lindquist of Concord, California. Swan Lindquist is Charles' father.
The Porter Garage later
became Art Speight's Garage
From: Porter Progress; Porter, Minnesota; August,
1981; Volume 81, No. 81
Speight Garage building no
Some of Porter's early business buildings are no longer
standing. Such is the case with the garage that was located
between the post office and Beatrice Nomeland's home.
Ben Shennum, O.G. Olson and Rob Miller were partners in a car
dealership in this building. August Kamrath bought his first
automobile, a fancy 1916 Buick, from here for about $1,200.
The building was moved south of the post office and the
Lindquist Brothers built a new garage building. John Goverki
worked for them as a young boy.
In the 1930's, Ralph Ellison operated a restaurant in the
front part of the building. Iver Wollum's Implement Shop was
located here for a time, until he built the new buildings
where the Porter Sales Barn (burned in 1998) is now located.
Art Speight then moved his garage into the building from its
former location down the street from the Co-op Oil Station
(behind the gas station on North Park Avenue). He was a
jack-of-all-trades in the mechanics line. He fixed cars, sold Norge refrigerators and in the 1930's he sold the first Philco
radio in Porter.
Speight was in the business until his health failed in 1962.
He died in 1964 widowing his wife Martha (passed-away in
2000), who remains in their
Porter home. The building stood empty for a time and was then